Pastor Vacancy Announcement
St John Missionary Baptist Church
2000 18th Avenue Meridian, MS 39301
St. John Missionary Baptist Church, located in Meridian, Mississippi, seeks a full time, visionary Pastor to preach the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and shepherd the congregation. The ability to extend evangelical and missionary activities within the local community and throughout the state, nation, and world is desirable. The selected candidate will interact with Church members to advance their spiritual growth and development. The ideal applicant will have a firm working knowledge of the mission, values, and strategies of the Church. Additionally, the candidate will lead and support the officers and Church staff.
Works with the flock (members) to help their spiritual growth and development while providing spiritual guidance, accomplished through the study, preparation and execution of weekly sermons, bible study, Sunday school lessons, prayer meetings and other means as deemed necessary. Operates as the Chief Officer of the Church (which includes leading the officers of the Church and Staff) and the moral leader for guiding the congregation in spiritual, financial, behavioral, and secular opportunities, challenges, and growth.
1. Seek the mind of Christ and the guidance of the Holy Spirit in all things.
2. Follow requirements and conduct as outlined 1 Titus 6-9: "An elder must be blameless, faithful to his wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. 7Since an overseer manages God's household, he must be blameless-not overbearing, not quicktempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. 8 Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. 9 He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.
3. Provide spiritual and administrative leadership for the Church
4. Lead worship and administer the Church Ordinances (The Lord's Supper, Baptism and Bible Study) as well as any other official duties of a pastor such as the carrying out of the Church Covenant, weddings, funerals, dedications, spokesperson, etc.
5. Provides pastoral care for the congregation that includes all who seek comfort and guidance throughout the Church. This includes external pastoral care at Nursing Homes, Hospitals, etc. for the congregation and those associated with the congregation
6. Serve as moderator of the Annual Business Meeting, Joint Ministry Meetings and serve as exoffico of all other meetings as outlined by the Church By-Laws and/or due to natural expectations of the role as a pastor.
7. Work closely with the other Biblical Officers (Deacons) on spiritual matters of the church, tables of the Church and strategic direction of the Church based upon the spiritual vision given to you by God
8. Work with the ministry leaders, trustees, and staff in helping the Church carry out the work of the Church based upon the vision and strategic direction
9. Develop, train, and oversee newly elected offices, staff and ministry leader and assist in preparing said persons from their role.
10. Lead, prepare and provide study for the Church as the Lord deems, that will prepare the Church Member and ministries to execute on its role in the Great Commission
11. Participate in the Baptist (Christian) work, community affiliates and other initiatives as agreed upon by the Church and Pastor
12. Faithfully execute the word of God and all actions as outlined by the By Laws and Constitutions of Saint John Missionary Baptist Church.
Education and Experience
- A minimum of 5 years ministry service as an ordained minister as an associate pastor/minster under the Supervision of a Senior Pastor
- A bachelor's degree or master's degree from a theological school, seminary or university preferred
- Solid Financial Acumen and Business Acumen
- Proficient in Planning and Organizing as well as Project Management
- Strong Verbal and Written Communication Skills
- Solid coping skills in the understanding of human behavior
- Solid knowledge of educational principles related to old and new testament teaching
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Lift up to 250lbs unassisted
- Standing for 30 minutes or longer continuously
- Stooping, bending, and twisting
- Ability to ride in vehicles to make required visitations
- Work in dry and wet environments
- Ability to verbally communicate in a clear manner
How to Apply:
1. A cover letter that describes your suitability for St. John Missionary Baptist Church.
2. A current resume or curriculum vitae that describes past relevant ministry and clergy experiences; proficiency and special talents; and professional and educational experiences.
3. Copies of ministerial licenses, diplomas, degrees, and related awards.
4. Three letters of recommendations (clergy(2) and personal).
5. A recent color photograph.
6. Contact information: address, email, cell phone, home and work phones.
Final candidates must consent to a reference and full background check which includes criminal history, drug test, and credit check. These inquires will be performed by an outside agency for complete confidentiality.
Seeking applicants from: Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama.